-0.1 C
Munich
Tuesday, January 18, 2022

No US soldiers to be punished over Afghan civilian drone strike deaths, says Pentagon | World News

Must read


Washington: Pentagon has said that it will not punish any troops over an errant drone strike in Kabul that killed 10 civilians on August 29. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has accepted recommendations that no US military personnel be disciplined for an errant drone strike in Kabul that killed 10 civilians, including an Afghan employee of an American aid organization and seven children, said The Washington Post report citing Pentagon.

Military officials had said previously that the attack on August 29 was not the result of criminal negligence. 

In November, the Air Force inspector general who led an independent investigation of the incident said that while the strike did not violate laws of war, the evidence suggested that mistakes were made as a result of what he called confirmation bias on the part of the analysts and commanders involved, said the report.

That review did not recommend any disciplinary action either, despite Pentagon leaders` admission that the strike was a “tragic mistake.”

A spokesman for US Central Command, which oversaw the operation, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The botched drone strike was carried out just days after a suicide bomber struck outside Hamid Karzai International Airport, killing 13 US service members and at least 170 Afghans, while coalition forces raced to evacuate people.

The military officials who approved the strike — they have not been identified publicly — believed they were targeting an operative of Islamic State-Khorasan, the terrorist group`s arm in Afghanistan and Pakistan. But as evidence later showed, the suspected explosives they believed to be inside a white Toyota Corolla proved to be water tanks for the aid worker`s family.

Top US military leaders initially defended the operation as a “righteous strike.” But as more details emerged revealing the extent of the error, the Pentagon promised to make “condolence payments” to the victims` family, reported The Washington Post.

Those payments have not yet been issued, though Pentagon spokesman John Kirby told reporters during a briefing said that while “we want to effect this as soon as possible,” officials want to make sure that the money is paid “in the safest and responsible way so that we know it`s getting to the right people and only the right people.”

Kirby also said that the Pentagon is still trying to obtain “the identifying information that we need to move family members out of Afghanistan as expeditiously as we can.” 

Afghanistan International Bank receives 3rd batch of World Bank’s cash aid

Kabul: Afghanistan International Bank on Sunday received the third batch of World Bank`s USD 19.2 million cash assistance.The information was given by Afghanistan`s Central Bank – Da Afghanistan Bank. 

Central Bank in a statement said that the money is part of the World Bank`s humanitarian pledges to Afghanistan, reported Khaama Press. The cash was taken from Kabul International Airport to Afghanistan International Bank by the Taliban.

The cash is a blessing in disguise as the local currency (Afghani) is in its unprecedentedly lowest value- one dollar for 114 Afghani on Sunday, reported Khaama Press.

It is believed that the fresh batch of dollars will help the value of local currency stabilize. Common people are the real victims of the ongoing unpleasant economic situation in Afghanistan as the prices of everything in the country have been doubled, reported Khaama Press.

As per the UN estimation, Afghanistan`s ongoing humanitarian situation is the world`s worst humanitarian disaster on earth and needs urgent global action to prevent the country`s collapse.

Live TV





Source link

- Advertisement -spot_img

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest article